DENTAL SERVICES FOR REFUGEES
If you are having a dental emergency and are eligible for the Canadian Federal Government’s Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP), you may receive emergency dental service at Markham Eglinton Dental Centre. Schedule an emergency dental visit with us today by scheduling an appointment online, sending us an online message, or giving us a call.
Am I Eligible for IFHP dental coverage?
The Canadian Federal Government’s Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP) provides emergency dental care to treat pain, infection or trauma for certain newcomer groups to Canada, including: protected persons, including resettled refugees; refugee claimants; and certain other groups.
What dental services are covered and not covered?
If you have had oral-facial trauma, significant dental infection, prolonged bleeding of the mouth area or tooth pain which cannot be managed by over-the-counter medications, then you are having a dental emergency and should seek help from a dentist.
IFHP dental coverage services, post emergency exams and radiographs, are limited to emergency relief of dental pain, infection or trauma only. Routine dental care is not eligible.
The following emergency dental services are automatically eligible under the IFHP dental program
· Emergency Oral exams
· Caries, Trauma, and Pain Control
· Writing or Dispensing an Emergency Prescription
· Simple tooth extractions
· Denture Relines
· Denture Repairs
Pre-authorization is required for the following IFHP dental services
· Amalgam or Composite Restoration for severely affected teeth
· Complicated dental extractions
· Complete and Partial Dentures
The following dental services are NOT covered by the IFHP dental program:
· Root canal treatments
· Intravenous sedation and nitrous oxide
· Prophylaxis and fluoride
· Restoration of incipient lesions or those not visible on an X-ray are considered routine care and will not be covered
· Scaling and root planning